FILTEC Ltd. is currently looking for a Regional Application Engineer to work from the Torrance office. FILTEC, Ltd., is a global company operating in over 50 countries worldwide and is a market leader in the design, manufacturing and servicing of bottle inspection equipment.
The Regional Application Engineer (AE) is responsible for qualifying applications involving sensor, photon and machine vision-based container inspection systems. These include existing applications with end customer requirements that can be done with standard Filtec solutions, end customer requirements that may not be documented in the standard Filtec solutions and new applications requiring product development. The Regional AE has direct interface with Corporate Application Engineering, Field and Customer Service, and the regional commercial organization within FILTEC. The Regional AE is expected to apply analytical skills to determine whether an application can be performed with existing systems and determine required system configurations or if new development or testing is required. The Regional AE is expected to produce application and product requirements for engineering (software, hardware, and mechanical) and develop use case and application notes for marketing, sales, and field service.
Responsibilities and duties include:
• Provide pre-sales engineering support for customers and sales engineers
• Analyze and edit system configurations and proposals
• Perform application evaluations of customer production lines and container inspection needs. These may be in-person site visits or remote conversations supported by line drawings and line specifications.
• Test applications to ensure functional and performance requirements are met
• Connect with customers to analyze user experience and gain constructive feedback
• Generate evaluation reports for samples that have been inspected. The report should indicate the types of inspections that were run, the performance achieved (if different than the standard performance documented for that inspection solution), and the product codes for the solution.
• Create demo applications. Analyze existing systems and determine ways to improve performance either through reconfiguration or re-engineering.
• Write requirements documents for customer applications and new applications features.
• Write case studies for use in sales and marketing campaigns.
• Write application notes for use by field personnel to reproduce results attained during sample testing.
• Participate in Beta projects from application validation perspective including on-site customer testing and validation.
• Advise and specify installation instructions that get delivered with systems for use by both field service and the customer.
• Confirm proper communication between customers, sales, and manufacturing.
• Contribute to sales presentations showcasing all technical features and processes Present new project proposals to sales engineers based on customer analysis
• Participate in customer meetings and develop checklists that can be used by sales engineers and field service engineers when managing sales opportunities and projects. Review sales proposals to ensure that systems quoted can perform the inspections required by the customer. Follow vision-related specials from Pre-sales through Production, manage the hand-off of specials to Field Service, and support Field Service during system commissioning.
• Support sales engineers in creating PCR (Product Customization Request) for each sale that includes an unreleased product or a product that must be modified to meet customer requirements as well as preparing the EDS (Engineering Data Sheet) for each sale.
• Assist sale engineers on customer calls with technical product detail.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong understating of photon-based inspection systems, optical measurement & inspection systems, machine vision applications, and the use of machine vision hardware and software.
• Good presentation, communication, organization and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to handle challenging customer situations.
• Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Good understanding of mechanical, electrical and industrial automation systems.
• Working knowledge and ease with using computing devices running Linux, Windows and/or OS X.
• Ability to work independently as well as in a collaborative environment.
• Ability to travel up to 25% of the time, occasionally on short notice.
Minimum education and work experience required:
• B.S. degree, preferably in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent occupational experience.
• Knowledge of optics and/or lighting for machine vision applications.
• Knowledge of basic machine vision techniques and industrial / factory automation applications.
• 2-5 years’ experience in machine vision.
• Experience with other sensor technology besides vision sensors is a plus.
• Familiarity with CAD tools.
• Strong customer relationship skills.
More on FILTEC:
FILTEC has been manufacturing innovative food, beverage, and pharma inspection systems for over sixty years. Our inspection solutions are designed to make our customers products safe for consumers, increase the efficiency of their production line, and protect their brand integrity.
Today, FILTEC offers a full line of equipment for inspection and marking of empty and full containers on bottling, canning and PET packaging lines. The company has shipped over 30,000 units worldwide and has the largest installed base of inspection equipment in the food and beverage industry. The FILTEC brand is synonymous with quality, reliability and durability.
FILTEC’s customers are primarily leading global beverage companies such as Coca-Cola, PepsiCo, SABMiller, Carlsberg, and AB InBev. The company has small secondary markets in Food and FMCG packaging applications. FILTEC has a global reach and is headquartered in a 120,000 square foot facility in Torrance, California that houses research and development, engineering, manufacturing and executive leadership functions. Outside the US FILTEC currently has eight (8) locations/direct subsidiaries in Mexico, Brazil, South Africa, Germany, Hong Kong, Philippines, Thailand and China.
In November 2013, after two (2) generations of family ownership, SFW Capital Partners made a strategic investment in FILTEC. SFW Capital Partners is the leading investor in analytical tools and related services companies, including providers of instrumentation, software information and business services.
If this sounds like the right mix of challenge and opportunity for you, and you meet the minimum qualifications, we want to hear from you! Submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
In addition to a competitive salary, FILTEC provides comprehensive benefits including medical and dental plans; vision, short term & long-term disability insurance, a 401(k) plan, flexible spending accounts, paid holidays, and more!